MEMPHIS, Tenn., July 18, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Strong performance highlighted by growth in loans and net interest income and the recovery of certain litigation costs yielded First Horizon National Corp. (NYSE:FHN) earnings per share of $0.32 for the second quarter, compared to EPS of $0.19 last quarter.
Total loans were up 4 percent from first to second quarter in First Horizon's regional banking business, First Tennessee, which has the largest market share in Tennessee. The bank saw double-digit year-over-year loan growth in asset-based lending, commercial real estate and its Mid-Atlantic region that includes the Carolinas, Virginia and North Florida. Loan growth was up 8 percent year-over-year in Middle Tennessee, and the banking team also started to make loan commitments in the bank's new markets of Houston, Charleston, S.C., and Jacksonville, Fla. The capital markets segment had a $47 million pre-tax litigation expense recovery in the quarter.
First Horizon continues to reduce the drag of the mortgage business the company sold in 2008, with non-strategic loans now making up less than 19 percent of the loan portfolio. In April the company settled with FHFA, and non-strategic average loans were reduced 17 percent compared to second quarter 2013."As we celebrate our 150 th anniversary, we are focused on building First Tennessee and FTN Financial while improving our customer focus and the economic profitability in every area of the company," said Bryan Jordan, First Horizon's chairman and CEO. "It's gratifying to see the success of our 4,200 employees serving customers paying off with continued profitability that benefits our shareholders and our communities." Financial highlights
- Net income available to common shareholders was $76.8 million, or $0.32 per diluted share, in the second quarter, compared to $0.19 per diluted share in the first quarter.
- In the regional bank, First Tennessee's pre-tax income increased to $72.9 million in the second quarter, compared to $56.0 million in the first quarter.
- Fixed income revenue was $40.5 million in the second quarter compared to $49.6 million in the first quarter, a reflection of market conditions that led to lower average daily revenues at FTN Financial, which remains a significant contributor of fee income and an important part of First Horizon's business mix.
- Asset quality remained strong. The provision for loan losses declined to $5.0 million in the second quarter from $10.0 million in the first quarter.
- In the second quarter First Horizon reached settlement agreements with insurance companies to recover $47.1 million of expenses related to the Sentinel litigation, which First Horizon settled in 2011.
- A fair value adjustment primarily related to the non-performing portion of the held-for-sale mortgage banking loan portfolio favorably impacted non-strategic earnings by $8.2 million for the second quarter.
|FHN CONSOLIDATED SUMMARY RESULTS|
|2Q14 Changes vs.|
|(Dollars in thousands, except per share data)||2Q14||1Q14||2Q13||1Q14||2Q13|
|Income Statement Highlights|
|Net interest income||$ 156,768||$ 152,359||$ 160,019||3%||(2)%|
|Securities gains/(losses), net||(1,923)||5,657||(351)||NM||NM|
|Provision for loan losses||5,000||10,000||15,000||(50)%||(67)%|
|Income/(loss) before income taxes||113,337||67,875||60,243||67%||88%|
|Provision/(benefit) for income taxes||32,157||18,645||15,008||72%||NM|
|Income/(loss) from continuing operations||81,180||49,230||45,235||65%||79%|
|Income/(loss) from discontinued operations, net of tax||--||--||1||NM||NM|
|Net income attributable to noncontrolling interest||2,859||2,813||2,843||2%||1%|
|Net income/(loss) attributable to controlling interest||78,321||46,417||42,393||69%||85 %|
|Preferred stock dividends||1,550||1,550||1,550||*||*|
|Net income/(loss) available to common shareholders||$ 76,771||$ 44,867||$ 40,843||71%||88%|
|Common Stock Data|
|Diluted EPS||$ 0.32||$ 0.19||$ 0.17||68%||88%|
|Diluted shares (thousands)||237,250||237,401||240,891||*||(2)%|
|Period-end shares outstanding (thousands)||237,147||236,586||240,555||*||(1)%|
|Balance Sheet Highlights (Period-End)|
|Total loans, net of unearned income||$ 15,795,709||$ 15,119,461||$ 16,197,952||4%||(2)%|
|Asset Quality Highlights|
|Allowance for loan losses||$ 243,628||$ 247,246||$ 261,934||(1)%||(7)%|
|Allowance / period-end loans||1.54%||1.64%||1.62%|
|Net charge-offs||$ 8,618||$ 16,563||$ 18,284||(48)%||(53)%|
|Net charge-offs (annualized) / average loans||0.22%||0.45%||0.46%|
|Non-performing assets (NPA)||$ 339,581||$ 345,520||$ 432,552||(2)%||(21)%|
|NPA % (a)||1.71%||1.87%||2.25%|
|Key Ratios & Other|
|Return on average assets (annualized) (b)||1.38%||0.83%||0.74%|
|Return on average common equity (annualized) (c)||14.14%||8.48%||7.46%|
|Net interest margin (d)||2.97%||2.88%||2.96%|
|Efficiency ratio (e)||57.89%||75.30%||75.05%|
|Tier 1 ratio (f)||14.20%||14.26%||13.28%|
|Market capitalization (millions)||$ 2,812.6||$ 2,919.5||$ 2,694.2|
|Certain previously reported amounts have been reclassified to agree with current presentation.|
|NM - Not meaningful|
|* Amount is less than one percent.|
|(a) NPAs related to the loan portfolio over period-end loans plus foreclosed real estate and other assets.|
|(b) Calculated using net income.|
|(c) Calculated using net income available to common shareholders.|
|(d) Net interest margin is computed using net interest income adjusted to a fully taxable equivalent ("FTE") basis assuming a statutory federal income tax rate of 35 percent and, where applicable, state income taxes.|
|(e) Noninterest expense divided by total revenue excluding securities gains/(losses).|
|(f) Current quarter is an estimate.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV