The VIX Had One of Its Biggest Spikes in a Decade: StockTwits
NEW YORK (TheStreet) --It was a sea of red on Wall Street today.
An image of the StockTwits Heat Map shows that perfectly. Every major sector was down. Healthcare, technology, and financial sectors were hit especially hard. The S&P 500
But the (VIX.X) had a historic day. It spiked 32%. That's a significant move, and it should be noted by all. It was its 8th largest move, as measured by percentage change, in the last 10 years. That stat comes from @RyanDetrick and this table shows how each of the largest VIX spikes compare. The question now becomes: Is volatility about to make a grand return?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV