NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Coach (COH) shares have plunged 40% in two year's time and may fall still further, based on first-hand observations of the brand inside major department stores. Discounts, closed displays and other problems are making it difficult for the company to expand sales and profits at these outlets.
In the past month alone, Coach's stock has shed 17.2%, compared to a 10.9% fall for rival Michael Kors
(KORS), and a 1.5% rise for the renewed Kate Spade
(KATE). Consider this: Coach's same-store sales, a key industry metric, have not increased since the quarter-ended April 23, 2013 (1% improvement realized). For the latest nine months of Coach's fiscal year, gross profit margins have evaporated to the tune of 244 basis points.
Michael Kors has delivered same-store sales increases of 22.9% to 36.7% over the past four quarters. Same-store sales growth at Kate Spade has been even more impressive than Michael Kors. In the most recent quarter, Kate Spade's same-store sales rose a whopping 43%, following increases of 30%, 31%, and 27%.
Video Interview Exclusive: Aboard its Ship, Norwegian Cruise Line CEO Talks About the Future
Video Interview Exclusive: Dig Inn Leads the Next Generation of Fast Casual Restaurants
According to Yahoo! Finance, analysts expect Coach to earn 53 cents per share when it announces its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings in early August. If that estimate is met, Coach's earnings per share will have fallen a staggering 40% year on year.
Not only is the street's fourth-quarter earnings estimate at risk of being missed, but earnings guidance for the new fiscal year could be disappointing. Wall Street estimates have Coach earning $1.90 per share for its fiscal year 2015 period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV