NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Shire (SHPG - Get Report) are up 1.50% to $253. on heavy trading volume after it was reported that the Dublin-based drugmaker and Chicago-based AbbVie (ABBV - Get Report) plan to announce a $53 billion merger as soon as tomorrow, sources told Reuters.
Earlier this week, Shire said it was ready to recommend a deal to shareholders after AbbVie upped its offer.
Under British takeover rules, AbbVie has until July 18 to announce a firm offer for Shire, extend the deadline for an offer, or walk away, Reuters noted.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Growth Stocks
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 17.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, SHPG's share price has jumped by 140.26%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, SHPG should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, SHIRE PLC's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Pharmaceuticals industry. The net income increased by 255.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $64.80 million to $230.40 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 53.42% to $246.10 million when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 10.91%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SHPG Ratings Report