NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Mattel Inc. (MAT) are lower by -6.25% to $36.59 on heavy volume in early afternoon trading on Thursday after the company reported a decline in net earnings to $28.3 million, or 8 cents per share for the 2014 second quarter, compared to $73.3 million, or 21 cents per share for the 2013 second quarter.
The toy maker, famous for its line of Barbie dolls, said total net sales were down 9% to $1.06 billion, from the year ago quarter.
One factor causing the drop in earnings and revenue is slumping demand for Mattel's signature doll.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Worldwide gross Barbie sales were lower by 15% for the 2014 second quarter, from the same period last year. Hot Wheels sales, another Mattel brand, were down 2% for the quarter, and Fisher-Price sales retreated 17% from 2013's second quarter. Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates MATTEL INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate MATTEL INC (MAT) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, good cash flow from operations, notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
MAT data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV