NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Taiwan Semiconductor
(TSM) shares are down -1.6% to $20.59 in trading on Thursday after its chairman announced that the company will lose out to competitors in the 14nm and 16nm process segment next year.
The company expects that its 16nm products will account for a single digit ratio to its overall revenue during the third quarter with rival Samsung (SSNLF) poised to take the lead in the segment.
Taiwan Semiconductor forecast record third quarter revenues between $6.85 billion to $6.95 billion despite the expected loss in 16nm market share.
Must Read: 20 Most Volatile Post-Earnings Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
TheStreet Ratings team rates TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO (TSM) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share and increase in net income. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- TSM's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- TSM's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.26 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, TSM has a quick ratio of 1.77, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 28.64% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, TSM should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO has improved earnings per share by 15.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR MFG CO increased its bottom line by earning $1.18 versus $1.10 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.46 versus $1.18).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry average. The net income increased by 18.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $1,327.64 million to $1,572.11 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TSM Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV