About the Finalists To submit a flavor idea for the "Do Us A Flavor" contest, fans were asked to provide their name, flavor name, up to three possible ingredients, the chip style and a 140-character description or inspiration for their flavor. In alphabetical order by flavor name, the finalists are:
- Lay's Cappuccino: Chad Scott spends his days as a visiting lecturer at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and nights working toward his Ph. D. from Texas A&M University. Constantly inspired and fueled by his local baristas' concoctions, and as a longtime lover of potato chips, Chad submitted the idea of a cappuccino-flavored Lay's potato chip. Important to note, Lay's Cappuccino flavored potato chips do not contain coffee or caffeine.
- Lay's Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese: Matt Allen just landed his dream job as a full-time firefighter. When it was his turn to cook the "family meal" at the firehouse during training, Matt knew exactly the way to his team's hearts and stomachs. His specialty bacon mac and cheese was a huge hit, and now all of America can get a taste of this Ohio firehouse favorite on a potato chip.
- Lay's Kettle Cooked Wasabi Ginger: Meneko Spigner McBeth is a registered nurse with a passion for sushi that started when she was just a little girl, eating handmade rolls by her grandmother. Over the years, her affinity for spicy foods and tastes, like wasabi, only grew, inspiring this potato chip flavor.
- Lay's Wavy Mango Salsa: Julia Stanley-Metz credits most of her culinary creations to her husband, Rick, who loves to experiment with exotic flavors and ingredients. She and her family have Taco Tuesday every week, taking fresh ingredients from the garden to create her perfected mango salsa recipe – now on a chip.
About the Contest PepsiCo has held the "Do Us A Flavor" contest in numerous countries with consumers suggesting more than 26 million ideas for chips flavors around the world. In July 2012, the Lay's brand launched its first "Do Us A Flavor" contest in the U.S. and asked fans around the country to pick the next great potato chip flavor. From bacon to apple to cheese, fans offered nearly four million potato chip flavor ideas. Lay's Cheesy Garlic Bread, Lay's Chicken and Waffles and Lay's Sriracha flavored potato chips were selected as finalists, created and brought to store shelves, and then it was up to consumers to determine a winner. In May 2013, after millions of fan votes were cast, it was announced that Lay's Cheesy Garlic Bread flavored potato chips were America's favorite, and Karen Weber-Mendham, a children's librarian from Land O' Lakes, Wis., and the finalist behind the winning idea, took home the $1 million grand prize.
As part of this year's contest, a judging panel made up of chefs, foodies and flavor experts narrowed down the contest submissions to four finalist flavors. The three runner-up finalists will each win $50,000 in prize money, with the grand prize winner taking home $1 million or one percent of their flavor's net sales through July 1, 2015 (whichever is higher). More details and official contest rules are available at www.DoUsAFlavor.com.
About Lay's Lay's potato chips is one of the billion-dollar brands that makes up Frito-Lay North America, the $13 billion convenient foods business unit of PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP), which is headquartered in Purchase, N.Y. Learn more about Lay's by visiting www.facebook.com/lays or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/lays. You can also follow Lay's on Instagram by visiting http://instagram.com/lays.About PepsiCoPepsiCo products are enjoyed by consumers one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. PepsiCo generated more than $66 billion in net revenue in 2013, driven by a complementary food and beverage portfolio that includes Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Quaker and Tropicana. PepsiCo's product portfolio includes a wide range of enjoyable foods and beverages, including 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in estimated annual retail sales. At the heart of PepsiCo is Performance with Purpose – our goal to deliver top-tier financial performance while creating sustainable growth in shareholder value. In practice, Performance with Purpose means providing a wide range of foods and beverages from treats to healthy eats; finding innovative ways to minimize our impact on the environment and reduce our operating costs; providing a safe and inclusive workplace for our employees globally; and respecting, supporting and investing in the local communities where we operate. For more information, visit www.pepsico.com. Follow PepsiCo: Frito-Lay North America
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV