It's Actually Youngest Customers Clinging to Bank Branches
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Financial consumers have a romantic notion of "breaking free" with digital banks, but they're not quite ready to abandon the comforting reality of the venerable bank branch.
A study from London-based Accenture illustrates that, showing that while 25% of consumers say they like the idea of a digital-only bank, the number of bank customers using branch offices are on the rise.
Interestingly, it's the very youngest customers -- the 18-to-24 demographic financial institutions want to latch onto and hang on to for life -- that are least open to digital-only banks, Accenture says. (Although the 25-to-34 demographic love the idea of branchless banks the most.)
While "there is also evidence that some customers are not satisfied by their banks' current digital offerings," Kirk says, there is no doubt more and more financial consumers bank online in various ways. According to Accenture, 80% of survey participants have used their bank digitally at least once in the past month, while the percentage of customers who have used mobile banking is at 27% this year, up from 10% in 2011.
But branch visits are up, too. Accenture reports the number of customers visiting a branch at least once a month has risen from 45% in 2012 to 52% this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV