In the first quarter of this year, the global smartwatch shipments shot up by 250% from the same period a year earlier, according to data provided by Strategy Analytics.
As expected, this growth was led by Samsung with its Galaxy Gear models which outperformed all of its major competitors, including Pebble, a smartwatch that has been funded by Kickstarter, a crowd-funding firm.
Wearable technology, however, is a booming marketplace, and a lot can change as the industry grows.
IDC has forecast more than 19 million global shipments of wearables, such as FuelBand, and smart wearables, such as Google Glass, for this year. That is more than three times as large as last year. Moreover, the sales volume could swell to 112 million units by 2018, implying an annual growth of 78.4%.BCC Research predicts that smartwatches could generate annual revenue of $12.5 billion by 2018. The competition will heat up with the increasing size of the wearables market. Samsung is reportedly preparing to launch a device that would compete with Google Glass. The company has already applied for a trademark for "Samsung Gear Blink", which could be launched as early as September. The biggest threat to Samsung in the smartwatch sector may come from Apple, which has been gearing up to launch its highly anticipated iWatch. Apple is expected to launch its device this year. Other companies, such as Motorola, which was acquired by China's Lenovo (LNVGY) in a $2.9 billion deal, and South Korea's LG Electronics (LGEAF) are also expected to launch their Android-based smartwatches later this year. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV