RLI Corp. (NYSE: RLI) – RLI Corp. reported second quarter 2014 operating earnings of $28.9 million ($0.66 per share), compared to $27.5 million ($0.63 per share) for the second quarter of 2013. For the six months ended June 30, 2014, operating earnings were $53.7 million ($1.23 per share) compared to $49.9 million ($1.15 per share) for the same period in 2013.
|Earnings Per Diluted Share||2014||2013|
|Operating earnings (1)||$0.66||$0.63|
|(1) See discussion below of non-GAAP financial measures.|
Highlights for the quarter included:
- Combined ratio of 84.2, resulting in underwriting income of $26.6 million.
- 3% growth in gross premiums written and 4% growth in net premiums written.
- $22.3 million net increase in underwriting income resulting from favorable development in prior years’ loss reserves.
- $6.8 million net decrease in underwriting income resulting from 2014 spring storms.
- Investment income of $14.0 million, up 9% from the same period last year.
- Book value per share of $21.37, an increase of 11% from year end 2013.
“We are pleased to report solid results for the quarter, including an 84.2 combined ratio, and 11% growth in book value per share for the year,” said RLI Corp. Chairman & CEO Jonathan E. Michael. “Our strong performance and book value growth were driven by consistent underwriting results across all of our segments and positive returns in the investment portfolio.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV