DANVILLE, Va., July 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Duke Energy has completed cleanup work along the Dan River just upstream of the Schoolfield Dam in Danville, Va. Completion of the work was reviewed and approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Since the operation began on May 6, approximately 2,500 tons of coal ash and river sediment have been removed from this location. Crews and equipment were staged at Abreu-Grogan Park in Danville for the past three months.
The company expects equipment demobilization and restoration activities in the park to continue for the next two weeks, with plans to return the park to the public in late July. Schedules are subject to change due to weather and work conditions at the site.
As part of restoration efforts at the park, Duke Energy will repair and repave portions of the parking lot and reseed grass areas. In consultation with the city of Danville, the company will delay major plantings such as trees and shrubbery until the fall.Duke Energy is working with the city of Danville to identify future opportunities for additional enhancements at the park such as improved river and fishing access areas. The company previously completed removal of ash and sediment from water treatment facilities in Danville and South Boston, as well as from locations in the river at the Dan River Steam Station and Town Creek, two miles downstream from the plant. More than 500 tons of coal ash and river sediment was removed from these areas. All ash removal operations have been under the direction of the EPA and conducted in conjunction with state and other federal agencies. Based on the EPA's criteria, there currently are no additional deposits to be removed from the river. Duke Energy, EPA and other agencies will continue monitoring and will remove additional coal ash and sediment deposits if identified and deemed necessary.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV