NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- St. Jude Medical (STJ - Get Report) shares are down -0.7% to $67.79 on Wednesday despite positive second quarter earnings results that saw the cardiovascular medical device manufacturer report a 6% year over year earning increase to $1.02 per diluted share, beating analysts estimates by 2 cents.
Revenue was up 3% from the year ago quarter to $1.45 billion, ahead of analysts $1.4 billion estimates.
The company also raised its full year EPS guidance to between $3.96 and $4.01 from $3.76 and $3.81.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
TheStreet Ratings team rates ST JUDE MEDICAL INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ST JUDE MEDICAL INC (STJ) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth and good cash flow from operations. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 46.61% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, STJ should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- ST JUDE MEDICAL INC has improved earnings per share by 10.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, ST JUDE MEDICAL INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.50 versus $2.40 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.98 versus $2.50).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry average. The net income increased by 11.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $223.00 million to $249.00 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $273.00 million or 49.18% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 8.02%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: STJ Ratings Report