NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Profiling companies before they report quarterly earnings has become more difficult following Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen's comments on Tuesday that valuations on small-cap, social-media and biotech stocks may be stretched.
Yellen made similar comments during a recent press conference, and her remarks are one reason I have added price-to-earnings ratios and dividend yields to my analysis. Both metrics give investors a sense of a stock's valuation.
Most of the nine stocks profiled today have been volatile this year. The stocks with the biggest year-to-date gains in today's "crunching the numbers" tables are SanDisk (SNDK), with a gain of 50%; Baker Hughes (BHI), up 32%; and AutoNation (AN), up 22%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV