NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Walt Disney (DIS) and Time Warner’s (TWX) Turner Broadcasting are in preliminary discussions about extending their contracts with the National Basketball Association, which is seeking to double its TV rights fees, according to the Wall Street Journal.
The National Basketball Association is said to be attempting to double the TV-rights fees it receives from Disney and Time Warner’s Turner Broadcasting.That's according to a report by the Wall Street Journal, which says Disney currently pays the NBA about $485 million a year and Turner pays about $445 million annually. The companies are said to be in preliminary discussions about extending their contracts with the NBA that currently run through the 2015-2016 season. Currently, the NBA Finals air solely on Disney's ABC network, but the NBA may look to split up the Finals coverage between the two companies as Turner has been pushing for some of it, according to sources cited by the Journal. If the NBA cannot reach deals with Disney and Time Warner, it could open the door to other bidders. However, NBA cannot discuss a deal with other companies at this point, under terms of its existing contracts. NBA team owners are meeting on Tuesday to discuss the TV-rights deals, among other matters. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar reporting for TheStreet. -- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV