"I always laugh at people who say 'I've never met a rich technician.' I love that! It's such an arrogant, nonsensical response. I used fundamentals for 9 years and got rich as a technician." -- Marty Schwartz
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- We've had some poor days this summer, but Tuesday has to take the cake. Things looked OK Monday, but today things fell apart. Up, down, then a feeble attempt at up again, before we began to roll over again into the close.
There is no point in being in stocks at the moment unfortunately. It looked like we were going to have a busy and profitable summer, but it has instead been marred by small loss after small loss for the most part, with some small gains thrown in as well. That is never fun. Still, we may be able to get some decent trades on earnings news, starting with Google (GOOG) (GOOGL) later this week.
The S&P 500 ETF is rangebound between $198 and $196 still. Really, if recent history is any indication, a move either way should be pretty subdued. A nice long consolidation period would be best for the continuation of this bull market. I've heard some questions recently about why I say the bull market only began in 2012. Many of you believe the bull market began in 2008, as soon as the low was put in at 666 on the S&P 500. My answer is simple. The base from 1999 to 2012 was just that: a base. The breakout in 2012 is the official start and all clear to this current bull market. The action before that was all just completing the base. I hope that helps answer some of your questions since I can't get back to every email every time. Enjoy your evening and Wednesday and maybe a few days on the links or the beach.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV