By Ross Crutchfield for Kapitall.
3D printing stocks were among the hardest hit companies in the first quarter of 2014. As investors sold off their trendy tech stocks, companies like 3D Industries (DDD) lost as much as half of their value.
Now, however, it appears that a series of breakthroughs are coupling with lower prices to make the industry attractive again.
For example, researchers at the University of Sydney recently made a major breakthrough in the field of “bio-printing,” creating functional vascular networks for the first time.On the corporate end, Reimagine Food and GGlab plan to disrupt the food industry by working together to serve entirely 3D printed meals at events in New York City and Barcelona this December. Today Home Depot (HD) also announced that they would be the first major home-improvement retailer to sell 3D printers in their stores. The MakerBot which is built by Stratasys Ltd. (SSYS) will sell through the retailer in 11 stores across 3 states. We screened the major 3D printing companies for monthly return found 3 stocks that are showing a monthly gain. Do you think their momentum will continue? Use the list below to begin your analysis and let us know what you think in the comments. Click on the interactive chart to view data over time. 1. 3D Systems Corp. (DDD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, development, manufacture, marketing, and servicing of 3D printers and related products, print materials, and services. Market cap at $6.04B, most recent closing price at $56.81. 2. Stratasys Inc. (SSYS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, manufacture, and marketing of three dimensional (3D) printing, rapid prototyping (RP), and direct digital manufacturing (DDM) systems primarily in North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific. Market cap at $5.26B, most recent closing price at $104.37.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV