NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- This afternoon, after the market close, Intel (INTC) will report second-quarter earnings. As has been the case for some time, most people will ignore the big picture and focus on yet another quarterly performance. It's the peril of Wall Street's quarter-to-quarter obsession with growth.
That's the wrong approach. Intel is a big-picture company, and investors need to remember that.
The stock closed Monday at $31.49, less than 1% away from a new 52-week high. The stock touched that high in trading Tuesday, up to the 52-week high-water mark of $31.72. Intel shares are up 22% on the year to date, beating both the tech sector and the semiconductor industry's 9% gain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV