NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Lorillard LO fell sharply on Tuesday after Reynolds American RAI said it would buy its rival for $25 billion to merge two of the world's largest cigarette makers.
Reynolds, which makes Camel and Pall Mall, offered $68.88 a share for Lorillard, which represented a 2.5% premium to Lorillard's closing price of $67.22 on Monday. The deal has a value of $27.4 billion, including debt.
The deal gives the second-largest U.S. cigarette maker access to Newport, the nation's leading menthol cigarette, to help it compete with the top U.S. tobacco company Altria Group MO, which makes Marlboro.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. To avoid antitrust issues, Reynolds said it would sell its KOOL, Salem and Winston and Lorillard's Maverick and blue eCigs brands, along with other assets, to Britain's Imperial Tobacco Group for $7.1 billion in cash. The Imperial Tobacco Group, Reynolds' largest shareholder, said it would purchase more shares to keep its 42% ownership of Reynolds through a $4.7 billion investment. Lorillard was down 7.53% to $62.16 at 9:58 a.m. Reynolds was down 3.91% to $60.71. LO Price data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV