NEW YORK (The Deal) -- St. Jude Medical Inc. (STJ) of St. Paul, Minn., is purchasing NeuroTherm, a manufacturer of radiofrequency ablation systems for interventional pain management, an area of the chronic pain market in which the buyer is weak.
The parties unveiled a definitive agreement Monday in which St. Jude will pay about $200 million in cash for the privately held company. NeuroTherm is based in Wilmington, Mass., and has offices in London, Amsterdam and Germany.
"NeuroTherm's radiofrequency ablation products are an ideal complement to St. Jude Medical's chronic pain portfolio, providing our global sales force with additional interventional pain therapies that offer potential relief to patients earlier in the chronic pain continuum," St. Jude Chief Operating Officer Michael Rousseau said in a statement. The acquisition will make St. Jude "the only medical device manufacturer with both RFA and spinal cord stimulation," he added.
The NeuroTherm acquisition is expected to add about $10 million to $15 million to St. Jude's 2014 sales. It would be neutral to consolidated earnings per share in 2014 and accretive thereafter on a GAAP basis, the company projects.The deal is expected to close in the third quarter, dependent on customary closing conditions. NeuroTherm is a portfolio company of Linsalata Capital Partners, a Cleveland-based private equity firm. Linsalata provided a recap for NeuroTherm in February 2011. Also that year, NeuroTherm acquired ArthroCare's interventional spine procedure lines Parallax for verebroplasty and Contour for cavity creation. Chronic pain affects 1.5 million people worldwide, with 230 million diagnosed in the U.S. in 2013 with acute and chronic pain. About 8% of those individuals received interventional therapy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV