CARTHAGE, Mo., July 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- 2Q non-cash goodwill impairment charge of $108 million (pre-tax)
- 2Q EPS impact of $.65 per share
- Apart from this charge, underlying guidance for 2014 was not updated
- Company has engaged an investment banker to help explore strategic alternatives for its Store Fixtures business, including possible divestiture
Leggett & Platt expects to record a $108 million pre-tax, non-cash goodwill impairment charge for the second quarter. This charge reflects the complete write off of the goodwill associated with the Store Fixtures group, which is part of the Commercial Fixturing & Components segment. The EPS impact of the non-cash charge is expected to be 65 cents per share. Apart from this impairment, the company has made no update to the underlying full year EPS guidance issued in April.
As previously disclosed, the Store Fixtures group's 2013 performance fell short of expectations. Performance did not rebound during the second quarter of 2014 as expected, with the deterioration of revenue and profitability most pronounced in May and June. Consequently, it has become apparent that the current market value of the Store Fixtures unit has fallen below its recorded book value. This stems from lower current expectations of future revenue and profitability, reflecting reduced market demand for the shelving, counters, showcases and garment racks the company supplies to major retailers.
The company has engaged an investment banker and is exploring strategic alternatives, including the possible divestiture of this business unit.FOR MORE INFORMATION: Visit Leggett's website at www.leggett.com. COMPANY DESCRIPTION: Leggett & Platt (NYSE: LEG) is a diversified manufacturer (and member of the S&P 500) that conceives, designs and produces a variety of engineered components and products that can be found in most homes, offices, and automobiles. The 131-year-old firm is comprised of 19 business units, 19,000 employee-partners, and 130 manufacturing facilities located in 18 countries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV