In a company blog post, Twitter data editor Simon Rogers highlighted the social network’s performance during the 64 matches of the 32-day tournament. All told, there were 672 million tweets sent relating to this year’s World Cup, the largest for any single event. The match with the most tweets was Germany’s rout against Brazil in the semifinals, with 35.6 million tweets during the two hours of broadcast, more than the 2014 Super Bowl (24.9 million tweets over four hours) and the 2014 Oscars (14.7 million tweets in 3.5 hours).
Germany’s victory over Argentina on Sunday in the final match was the second most-tweeted event, with 32.1 million tweets. Germany’s victory over Argentina in the final match also resulted in the largest number of tweets per minute, at 618,725. The second-, fourth-, and fifth-most tweeted moments were goals during the Brazil-Germany match, while the third-most tweeted moment was Mario Gotze’s tournament-winning goal during extended time.
Twitter, Social Media Stock-Moving News Misses Many Baby Boomers
Why Twitter Shares Have Soared Over the Past Month
The most-mentioned players were injured Brazilian forward Neymar, Golden Ball winner Lionel Messi of Argentina, and the infamous Uruguayan biter, Luis Suarez."As the #WorldCup drama unfolded on the pitch in Brazil, it also played out on Twitter in a big way," Rogers wrote. "Football fans across the globe discussed every exhilarating and emotional moment as it happened." --Written by Laura Berman in New York >Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV