NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Yingli Green Energy (YGE - Get Report) was gaining 4.4% to $3.36 Monday after World Trade Organization judges ruled U.S. tariffs on Chinese solar modules, steel products, and other exports violate global trade rules.
The WTO ruled that the U.S. tariffs are inconsistent with the 1994 Marrakech accord which deals with subsidies and countervailing duties according to Reuters. In the summary of the report, the panel of three judges recommended "that the United States bring its measures into conformity with its obligations" under the agreement.
The U.S. tariffs were first imposed on Chinese solar module exports in 2012. The government recently announced new preliminary tariffs to close a loophole related to using non-Chinese cells.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 105.47 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, YGE has a quick ratio of 0.50, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO is rather low; currently it is at 15.68%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, YGE's net profit margin of -12.72% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- YGE has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 14.33% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO has improved earnings per share by 44.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO continued to lose money by earning -$2.05 versus -$3.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.46 versus -$2.05).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: YGE Ratings Report