Last Thursday and Friday Citigroup held its semiannual value level shown in the second table of my July 7 profile giving investors the opportunity to buy this stock pre-earnings. Semiannual and monthly risky levels are $48.92 and $49.63, respectively.
On Friday Wells Fargo (WFC) ($51.21) matched analysts earnings per share estimates and the stock traded down to $50.82 holding my semiannual value level at $50.95 then rebounded to $51.84 Monday morning above its 50-day SMA at $51.13 but below its 21-day SMA at $52.25.
The weekly chart shifts to neutral from positive but overbought with a close this week below its five-week MMA at $51.51. A lower semiannual value level is $43.27 with a semiannual pivot at $50.95 and quarterly and monthly risky levels at $53.09 and $54.55, respectively.
Let's look at the weekly chart for the banking index:Courtesy of MetaStock Xenith Wells Fargo has outperformed all 24 components of the components of the BKX up 17% year-to-date as of July 3 and above all of its highs set in 2007 and 2008, while the BKX struggles with its 50% Fibonacci retracement at $69.37. The 50-day MMA for the BKX is a key support at 70.78 with its 200-week SMA at $53.62. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Suttmeier This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff TheStreet Ratings team rates CITIGROUP INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CITIGROUP INC (C) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, attractive valuation levels, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry average. The net income increased by 3.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $3,808.00 million to $3,943.00 million.
- CITIGROUP INC reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CITIGROUP INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.25 versus $2.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.54 versus $4.25).
- 38.78% is the gross profit margin for CITIGROUP INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, C's net profit margin of 16.62% significantly trails the industry average.
- C, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.5%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: C Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV