NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- European financial stocks fell below important price levels last week as worries over the health of Portugal's Banco Espirito Santo brought fear into global markets.
Below is a chart of Global X FTSE Portugal 20 ETF (PGAL) and iShares MSCI Europe Financials (EUFN). The two indices have correlated closely since 2011, when the eurozone's debt crisis spread from small peripheral countries across the continent, pulling down every major stock index in Europe along the way.
"We rate LLOYDS BANKING GROUP PLC (LYG) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, LYG's share price has jumped by 27.95%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Although LYG had significant growth over the past year, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock at the current time.
- The gross profit margin for LLOYDS BANKING GROUP PLC is rather high; currently it is at 62.62%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, LYG's net profit margin of 16.80% significantly trails the industry average.
- LLOYDS BANKING GROUP PLC's earnings per share declined by 23.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LLOYDS BANKING GROUP PLC continued to lose money by earning -$0.08 versus -$0.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.55 versus -$0.08).
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market, LLOYDS BANKING GROUP PLC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry average. The net income has decreased by 17.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $2,316.93 million to $1,914.29 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LYG Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV