NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Weatherford International (WFT - Get Report) are gaining 1.78% to $22.28 at the start of trading on Monday after the company announced it has agreed to sell its land drilling and workover operations in Russia and Venezuela to Rosenft (RNFTF) for $500 million in cash.
Rosenft is an integrated oil company majority owned by the Russian government.
The sale is part of Weatherford's plan to divest its non-core businesses, and is expected to close in the third quarter of 2014.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, WFT's share price has jumped by 55.96%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- WEATHERFORD INTL PLC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, WEATHERFORD INTL PLC continued to lose money by earning -$0.44 versus -$1.02 in the prior year.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.18 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, WFT maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.70, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 286.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $22.00 million to -$41.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: WFT Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts