Chinese Company Buys UK's Pizza Express Chain for $1.5 Billion
LONDON -- Pizza Express, one of Britain's best-known chain restaurants, has been sold to a Chinese private equity firm for about 900 million pounds ($1.5 billion.)
Gondola Group, which also owns other British restaurant chains, said it agreed to the sale with Hony Capital on Saturday in the latest example of Chinese investment in European companies.
Pizza Express has 436 restaurants in the U.K., along with 68 internationally, including 22 in China.
The chain's chief executive, Richard Hodgson, said Asia is a key part of the chain's growth strategy, and Hony's expertise in the region will be valuable.
[Read: Whiting Petroleum Buys Kodiak]
[Read: Aecom to Pay $4B for Engineering Firm URS]
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV