Summer Spending on Family Fun Jumps 59% in 2 Years
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- You may not realize it, but consumers spend as much or even more from May through August than in the busy December holiday season.
On a month-to-month basis from May 2013 through May 2014, it was May 2014 that saw the highest monthly levels of consumer spending, as with June, July and August 2013, according to Statista.com.
But what are Americans spending their cash on? It's an easy question to answer in the holiday shopping seasons, when gift cards, toys and games, party favors and jewelry top the list for consumer spending.
"Throughout the year, we've seen higher spending in a number of areas like travel, shopping and entertainment -- so it's no surprise that parents are planning to spend more to keep their kids active. This is good news for seasonal retailers, as well as camps, theme parks and other entertainment venues," Rabkin says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV