NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Genworth Financial Inc. (GNW - Get Report) closed lower by -2.55% to $16.62 on heavy trading volume on Friday afternoon after the Federal Housing Finance Agency proposed new restrictions which would require higher capital standards on mortgage insurers that do business with Freddie Mac (FMCC) and Fannie Mae (FNMA).
"FHFA's Strategic Plan calls on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to strengthen the requirements for private mortgage insurance companies that do business with them in order to reduce Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's overall risk exposure and protect taxpayers," the FHFA said on its website.
Other stocks that declined as a result of the proposed regulations include Radian Group Inc. (RDN - Get Report) down -5.29%, on heavy volume, to $13.77 before the close, and MGIC Investment Corp. (MTG - Get Report) which was lower by -9.31% to $8.38 on heavy trading volume before the close.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC (GNW) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, revenue growth and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 48.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 46.16% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, GNW should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC has improved earnings per share by 48.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.15 versus $0.55 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.46 versus $1.15).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Insurance industry. The net income increased by 78.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $103.00 million to $184.00 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 7.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GNW Ratings Report