NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Telefonica (TEF) are down -0.24% to $16.49 after it was reported that the Spanish firm is in talks to sell its stake in Telecom Italia (TI) in a move that could ease regulatory pressure in Brazil's wireless market, according to the Brazilian newspaper Folha de S.Paulo, Reuters reports.
Telefonica is negotiating a deal with investment funds to sell its stake in Telecom Italia, the paper said.
Telefonica is left with a nearly 15% direct stake in the Italian company after other investors voted to dismantle their controlling bloc.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, TEF's share price has jumped by 34.75%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, TELEFONICA SA has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- Although TEF's debt-to-equity ratio of 2.61 is very high, it is currently less than that of the industry average. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, TEF maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.72, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The gross profit margin for TELEFONICA SA is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 30.12%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 5.65% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TEF Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV