NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of The Gap (GPS - Get Report) are down -1.29% to $40.44 in pre-market trade, continuing yesterday's slide after the apparel retailer reported an unexpected decline in comparable-store sales in June.
Sales at stores open at least a year, including online orders, fell 2%, the company said in a statement late yesterday.
Retail Metrics Inc., a research firm that tracks the industry, had estimated a gain of 0.8%, Bloomberg reported.
- GPS's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.46, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, GAP INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $513.00 million or 44.10% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -3.80%.
- GAP INC's earnings per share declined by 18.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GAP INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.75 versus $2.32 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.95 versus $2.75).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GPS Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts