More than 6,000 July 17 calls were purchased for 18 cents to 85 cents $0.85 on Friday, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. The volume was well above the strike's previous open interest of 1,630 contracts, indicating that new positions were established.
These long calls lock in the price where the Wi-Fi provider's stock can be purchased by the end of this week no matter how far it might climb. They could be sold earlier at a profit if premiums rise with a rally before then, but the contracts will quickly lose value if shares stall or pull back.
Aruba jumped 7.18% to $17.46 on Friday. The move followed a decision by the Federal Communications Commission to approve a $2 billion subsidy for public school and library Wi-Fi networks for the next two years, with the possibility of an annual $1 billion allocation after that.The stock is now back to the middle of its recent range, making up for the losses it took during the broader-market selloff earlier last week. But shares are still down some 18% in the last three months. Total option volume in Aruba was just shy of 11,000 on Friday, about 10 times its daily average for the last month. Only 777 of those contracts were puts, an indication of the session's bullish bias. Yamamoto has no positions in ARUN.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV