Captain America has grossed $257.8 million domestically. Two other top five movies for 2014 are also Marvel productions -- X-Men: Days of Future Past, No. 3 with $227.9 million in U.S. ticket sales, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, No. 5. with $200.9 million in U.S. gross.
Disney has profited handsomely from Marvel, which it bought in 2009 for $4.24 billion. Since that time, shares of Disney have almost tripled, compared with a 90% rise for the S&P 500 Index.
Shares of Disney were trading at $85.94, down 1%, late Tuesday morning.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV