NEW YORK (TheStreet) – If you're, like me, a number cruncher, analyzing the six-month performance of some of the most closely followed equities and industries in the stock market can be a fun exercise.
Breaking down company report cards of names that were overhyped or unloved at the beginning of 2014 has yielded some interesting results. BlackBerry (BBRY) year-to-date gains of 53% certainly stands out. On the overhyped side, Twitter's (TWTR) 40% year-to-date decline qualifies.
Both of these names were consensus picks for a dog or a winner when the year started. But they've gone in opposite directions. Don't discount for a second that the second half of 2014 will be any different. There will be plenty of loved/hated names that will emerge as strong surprises while some will wallow in disappointment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV