MBIA (MBI): Today's Post-Market Laggard
- MBI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $57.9 million.
- MBI is down 3.1% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MBI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MBI NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MBI: MBIA Inc., together with its subsidiaries, provides financial guarantee insurance and related reinsurance, advisory, and portfolio services for the public and structured finance markets; and asset management advisory services in the United States and internationally. MBI has a PE ratio of 5.5. The average volume for MBIA has been 3.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. MBIA has a market cap of $1.9 billion and is part of the financial sector and insurance industry. The stock has a beta of 1.71 and a short float of 5% with 1.10 days to cover. Shares are down 19.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates MBIA as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.46 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$424.00 million or 443.58% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Insurance industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, MBIA INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- MBI has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 19.44% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- MBIA INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MBIA INC reported lower earnings of $1.10 versus $6.33 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.48 versus $1.10).
- You can view the full MBIA Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts