"The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many men as possible." -- Bernard Baruch
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A large gap lower across the board is never fun to see -- unless you're short. I was not short, but I did exit all positions and moved to cash Tuesday, so I'm just enjoying the show for now.
We saw several stocks come back to fill the gap but then fade.
I'm not so sure it's yet time to try dip buys, but with earnings really ramping up next week, we should get some good buy points.Latest Sarepta Study Update Shows Greater Decline in Walking Ability These ETFs May Be the Only Bargains Left to Buy Beer Mailbag: New Belgium, Woodchuck Send Off Summer Family Dollar's Lost Way Leads Levine into Hands of Peltz, Icahn After a few more days to let this recent weakness play out, we could be back into stocks in a big way. The SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) hard a large gap lower today. Thankfully we were out a few days ago. I don't like the action, so I'll sit in cash until I see a sign of a low.
So far, the S&P 500 ETF has been holding the 21-day average. That's good, but we could easily move to $194 and possibly $192 before we begin to move higher once again. There is nothing wrong with a good washout as long as you aren't holding through it. Enjoy your wonderful summer evening. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @iTraderz This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV