NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple is expected to offer a "sunset period" in a U.S. District Court Thursday, giving Samsung time to redesign features infringing upon its patents.
The patent war between Apple (AAPL) and Samsung wages on -- but now, Apple is expected to take a more delicate approach.Apple will present arguments in a U.S. District Court in San Jose on Thursday. It's expected to offer a "sunset period" giving Samsung time to redesign the nine features Apple said are infringing upon its patents, according to a report by Bloomberg. Apple has changed tactics after having its request for a sales ban against Samsung rejected twice. Samsung has been found by a jury to be in violation of three of Apple's patents. They pertain to features including allowing a user to call a number directly from a Web site, automatic spelling corrections and unlocking the phone through gestures. The patent war between the two smartphone makers started in 2011 with Apple suing Samsung in the U.S. for patent and trademark infringement and unfair competition. Samsung soon counter-sued in Korea, Japan and Germany for patent infringement on its 3G technologies. Samsung has been ordered to pay Apple $120 million of the $2.2 billion Apple had been seeking, while Apple has been ordered to pay $158,000 to Samsung. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. -- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV