VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., July 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- A 110-foot long lift vessel will periodically be located off the shore of Camp Pendleton during July to obtain core samples needed for Dominion Virginia Power to move ahead with its proposal to build wind turbines 27 miles off the coast.
The U.S.-flagged Inez Eymard literally lifts itself out of the water to provide a stable platform for collecting the core samples. As weather permits, the vessel will conduct borings off Camp Pendleton during July. The vessel's location will range from 300 to 3,300 feet from the shoreline while collecting data for the design of the underground electric distribution line.
"This proposed project provides a very interesting opportunity to develop renewable offshore wind energy for Virginia," said Paul Ruppert, senior vice-president of Business Development and Generation Construction. "Both the demonstration project and the commercial venture tie into our strategy of promoting a diverse generating mix that includes nuclear, natural gas, coal, hydro, solar and sustainable wind while providing our customers with reliable and affordable electricity."The Inez Eymard, which usually works in the Gulf of Mexico, has spent the past few days working at both Camp Pendleton and at the turbine site 27 miles off the coast of Virginia Beach. Dominion has received two Department of Energy grants totaling $51 million for its wind turbine demonstration project. If the project is approved, the company plans to build two 6-megawatt turbines and test design features intended to lower the cost of construction, reduce maintenance and withstand hurricane-force winds. Click here: www.dom.com/wind Dominion also holds the lease on 112,800 acres of commercial wind area adjacent to the demonstration project. The company intends to use lessons learned from the demonstration turbines to guide the development of up to 2,000 megawatts of wind turbine energy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV