NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Weak results from Tractor Supply (TSCO) and Lumber Liquidators (LL) do not bode well for Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW) near-term outlook, Deutsche Bank warned in a note to investors earlier today.
WHAT'S NEW: After hardwood floors retailer Lumber Liquidators and farm products retailer Tractor Supply pre-announced weaker than expected Q2 results, Deutsche Bank analyst Mike Baker reduced his estimates for Home Depot and Lowe's. The comparative sales of Home Depot and Lowe's have historically had a positive correlation with those of Tractor Supply and Lumber Liquidators, explained Baker. Lumber Liquidators, like Home Depot and Lowe's, is exposed to housing markets, the analyst stated. Meanwhile, like Tractor Supply, Home Depot and Lowe's are exposed to the outdoor/weather sensitive sector, according to Baker. However, there are differences in the companies' business models, and comparative sales at Home Depot and Lowe's are probably trending better than at Tractor Supply and Lumber Liquidators, Baker believes. He lowered his second quarter comparative sales growth forecast for Lowe's to 4% from 4.5%, and for Home Depot to 4.5% from 5%. Baker's Q2 EPS estimates for both home improvement companies are now 1c below consensus levels. He kept a Buy rating on Lowe's and Hold ratings on Home Depot and Tractor Supply.
PRICE ACTION: In early trading, Home Depot fell 2% to $79.07, Lowe's declined 1.8% to $47.02, Tractor Supply tumbled 5% to $58.23, and Lumber Liquidators plunged 22% to $54.70. Shares of Tile Shop (TTS), which is also exposed to housing markets, fell 11% to $11.55 in early trading.
Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV