NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of WD-40 Co. (WDFC - Get Report) are down -6.66% to $71.04 at the start of trading on Thursday, continuing a decline it began Wednesday afternoon following the company's disappointing 2014 third quarter financial results, which didn't meet analysts' expectations.
WD-40, a consumer products company that delivers solutions for various maintenance needs, reported net earnings of $10.4 million, or 69 cents per share for the most recent quarter, missing analyst expectations of 72 cents.
However, The company reported a 3% growth in revenue from the 2013 third quarter to $95.7 million for the 2014 third quarter.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
"We rate WD-40 CO (WDFC) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, good cash flow from operations, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates WD-40 CO as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 1.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.41, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.17, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $7.60 million or 12.93% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, WD-40 CO has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 3.52%.
- WD-40 CO's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, WD-40 CO increased its bottom line by earning $2.54 versus $2.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.74 versus $2.54).
- The gross profit margin for WD-40 CO is rather high; currently it is at 52.42%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 10.95% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: WDFC Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts