Newmont Mining (NEM) Rising Before The Market Opens
- NEM has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $156.0 million.
- NEM traded 41,851 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:22 AM.
- NEM is up 2% today from yesterday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NEM with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NEM NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on NEM: Newmont Mining Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, acquires, explores for, and produces gold, copper, and silver deposits. The company's assets or operations are located in the United States, Australia, Peru, Indonesia, Ghana, New Zealand, Mexico, and Suriname. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.4%. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Newmont Mining a buy, 4 analysts rate it a sell, and 11 rate it a hold. The average volume for Newmont Mining has been 6.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Newmont has a market cap of $12.3 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of -0.04 and a short float of 3.4% with 2.40 days to cover. Shares are up 7.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Newmont Mining as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 68.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $314.00 million to $100.00 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, NEWMONT MINING CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $180.00 million or 58.42% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The share price of NEWMONT MINING CORP has not done very well: it is down 13.07% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- NEWMONT MINING CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEWMONT MINING CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$5.06 versus $3.78 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.82 versus -$5.06).
- You can view the full Newmont Mining Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV