OMAHA, Neb., July 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- In its sixth annual public disclosure to CDP, Union Pacific submitted climate change data, discussing efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. For the first time, the company also outlined efforts to responsibly manage water in the CDP's water questionnaire.
Illustrating the role environmental sustainability plays in Union Pacific's business planning and operations, the company details the following actions:
- Pioneering and testing technology to improve fuel efficiency, such as the Arrowedge®, an aerodynamic innovation for double-stack intermodal trains.
- Managing infrastructure, equipment and operations through training and awareness to increase fuel efficiency.
- Establishing plans for preserving habitats. For example, the railroad has developed processes to protect the desert tortoise, an endangered species.
- Engaging with the public, shareholders, customers, suppliers and employees through direct communications, disclosure of Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions, and the company's Carbon Emission Estimator.
Union Pacific works with Trinity Consultants to compile its greenhouse gas inventory, and Conestoga-Rovers & Associates verified Union Pacific's 2013 greenhouse gas inventory. Conestoga-Rovers & Associates and Trinity Consultants are independent organizations.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, trains emit an average of 75 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than trucks. A single Union Pacific train can replace as many as 300 trucks, decreasing emissions and reducing stress on the nation's deteriorating road and bridge infrastructure.About CDP CDP, formerly known as the Carbon Disclosure Project, is an international, not-for-profit organization providing the only global system for companies and cities to measure, disclose, manage and share vital environmental information. CDP works with market forces to motivate companies to disclose their impacts on the environment and natural resources and take action to reduce them.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts