SUPERVALU INC. (NYSE: SVU), one of the nation’s leading grocery wholesalers, today announced that it has begun supplying the first of 18 Rainbow stores that are being acquired as part of the transactions that were announced May 7 between Roundy’s and a consortium of SUPERVALU and independent retailers. Following the store conversions, SUPERVALU will supply all 18 of the acquired stores out of its Hopkins, Minnesota distribution center.
SUPERVALU along with four Twin Cities-based independent retailers – Jerry’s Enterprises, Haug Enterprises, Lund Food Holdings and Radermacher Enterprises – are expecting to complete the store conversions over the next two weeks. As previously announced, ten of the 18 stores will become Cub Foods locations, two will operate as Byerly’s and the other six will remain Rainbow stores.
“I am very pleased that we are now adding these 18 stores to SUPERVALU's distribution network and that we are expanding our supplier relationship with a group of very strong independents and longtime customers of our Independent Business segment. We expect these fine retailers will serve the Twin Cities better than ever with an expanded store base,” said Sam Duncan, SUPERVALU president and chief executive officer. “Each of these independent retailers, along with Cub, are longtime grocers who know this market and their customers and are actively involved in their stores and communities.”
The 10 new Cub Foods will be located at:
- Chaska – 200 Pioneer Trail
- Lakeville – 17756 Kenwood Trail
- Minneapolis (Lagoon) – 1104 Lagoon Ave.
- Minneapolis (Quarry) – 1540 New Brighton Blvd.
- Plymouth (6 th Avenue) – 10200 6 th Ave. North
- Roseville (includes stand-alone liquor store) – 1201 Larpenteur Ave.
- St. Louis Park (includes stand-alone liquor store) – 5370 16 th Street W.
- St. Paul (Arcade) – 892 Arcade Street
- Eagan – 1276 Town Centre Drive
- Oakdale – 7053 10 th Street North
The six Rainbow stores will be located at:
- Minneapolis (Lake Street) – 2919 26 th Ave. South
- Plymouth (Plymouth Station) – 16705 County Road 24
- Richfield – 140 West 66 th Street
- West St. Paul – 1660 Robert Street South
- Maplewood – 2501 White Bear Ave.
- St. Paul (Midway) – 1566 University Ave. West
The two new Byerly’s stores will be located at:
- Eden Prairie – 970 Prairie Center Drive
- Woodbury (includes stand-alone liquor store) – 7050 Valley Creek Plaza
Store conversions at the Minneapolis (Lagoon), St. Paul (Arcade) and St. Louis Park locations began Monday and opened today, July 9. The remaining stores are expected to transition on a staggered basis over the next two weeks.