NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- eBay's (EBAY - Get Report) Braintree unit, an electronic-payment system for businesses acquired for about $800 million in 2013, is introducing a new development kit that seeks to make it simpler for e-commerce companies to get customers to buy on mobile devices, Bloomberg reports.
It's Braintree's first major upgrade since its purchase by EBay and will help website owners quickly add and customize checkout features, potentially saving weeks of work, says the unit's CEO Bill Ready.
Braintree's product will also be integrated with EBay's PayPal payment system which has over 148 million customers.
eBay, faced with stiff competition from Anazon.com (AMZN - Get Report) and others, is adding new tools as it seeks to reach consumers who are making purchases through smartphones and tablets. Bloomberg said.The company's shares of are up 1.32% to $50.84 this afternoon. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Growth Stocks
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 21.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Although EBAY's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.21 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.34, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- EBAY INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, EBAY INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.18 versus $1.99 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.98 versus $2.18).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 443.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $677.00 million to -$2,326.00 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, EBAY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: EBAY Ratings Report