The warm weather and the shining sun remind us that summer is here.
During the hotter months, homeowners tend to use more water maintaining their landscaped areas, filling their pools, cleaning pavement and decks, and just by not turning off their faucets completely. New Jersey American Water encourages homeowners to think about how they can prepare for the exhausting heat and humidity, and offers some helpful tips that can help you maintain an affordable water bill.
Warm Weather Tips
- Be smart about watering. Depending on the weather or type of plants/turf, it is possible you may only need to water once or twice per week. Instead of watering later in the day, water early in the morning. When you water in the morning, you are minimizing evaporation.
- Set your mower higher. Depending on the time of year, mowing at 2.5 to 3.5 inches is your best bet.
- Summer showers water your flowers. If rain is the forecast, turn your sprinkler system off ahead of time. Water collected in rain barrels can be used at a later date for your outdoor plants.
- Check for leaks and breaks in your hoses and faucets.
- Sweep, do not spray. When cleaning your patios, decks, and sidewalks, use a broom instead of your hose.
- Use drought-resistant species. By planting native plants, they have the benefit of being adapted to local conditions.
- Let water do double duty. Bathe your pets outdoors in areas that may need water.
- Wash your car wisely. Washing your car with a bucket of soapy water uses far less water than leaving a hose running.
More hot weather tips can be found at www.newjerseyamwater.com.New Jersey American Water, a wholly owned subsidiary of American Water (NYSE: AWK) is the largest investor-owned water utility in the state, providing high-quality and reliable water and/or wastewater services to approximately 2.5 million people. Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs approximately 6,700 dedicated professionals who provide drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 14 million people in more than 30 states, as well as parts of Canada. More information can be found by visiting www.amwater.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV