NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Apollo Global Management LLC (APO) is adding bonds of Molycorp Inc. (MCP) to its holdings in order to have control of the rare-earth mining company in the event it looks to restructure its $1.5 billion debt, Bloomberg reports.
Apollo bought $8.5 million of Molycorp's $230 million convertible notes, which are due in 2016. As of March 31 the investment firm, run by Leon Black, held a minimum of 22% of that securities class, Bloomberg added.
The firm thinks those holding Molycorp's convertible notes won't get a full recovery in the event of a default, and is looking to give those lenders control of a possible restructuring, and take over the company's equity.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Shares of Apollo Global are lower by -2.88% to $25.98 on Wednesday morning.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC (APO) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 71.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $248.98 million to $72.17 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $389.18 million or 56.03% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC increased its bottom line by earning $3.97 versus $1.95 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 32.6% in earnings ($2.68 versus $3.97).
- APO, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 5.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 62.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- 39.10% is the gross profit margin for APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC which we consider to be strong. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 14.68% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: APO Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.