Bulls Bet NRG Will Resume Power
More than 16,700 January 35 calls traded Wednesday for $2.35 to $2.65, led by a single print of 12,092 that was bought for the ask price of $2.45, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. This is clearly new positioning, as the volume was far above the strike's previous open interest of 8,803 contracts.
NRG rose 0.28% on Wednesday to close at $35.55. Shares declined after hitting $38.09 on June 19, its highest price since September 2008, but appear to have found support at their 50-day moving average.
The power and energy company has seen upside option activity several times this year, most recently in a winning January 29/36 call spread cited on our InsideOptions Pro subscription service.Total option volume in NRG topped 22,000 contracts Wednesday, 18 times its daily average for the last month. Overall calls outnumbered puts by 13 to 1, a reflection of the session's bullish sentiment. Yamamoto has no positions in NRG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV