Xerox (NYSE:XRX) recently supported raids and prosecutions around the world to protect customers from counterfeit consumables and products, which unknowingly lead to damaged equipment, shoddy output and higher costs.
According to The Imaging Supplies Coalition, the estimated worldwide impact of counterfeiting is $3.5 to $5 billion annually. It’s an industry often targeted by counterfeit distributors because “fake” toner is often indistinguishable until it is used, and not often scrutinized by the consumer. But it comes at a price – including invalidating equipment warranties and inconsistent or poor print quality.
Counterfeit prevention efforts by Xerox include:
- The confiscation of more than 1,500 boxes of fake toner cartridges that looked like authentic Xerox products from Zhuhai Warmth Electronic Co., Ltd., a compatible manufacturer in China. A cease-and-desist action forbids the company from using fake packaging. An identical action was brought against Zhuhai Supricolor Image Co., Ltd., in China, which is linked to Zhuhai Warmth.
- Two organized raids in Brazil – including one in Maringa where more than 1,000 counterfeit boxes of Xerox-branded toner cartridges and authentication labels were confiscated by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). In Londrina, Xerox, along with other OEMs, seized more than 1,800 boxes of counterfeit Xerox products, including security labels and product identification materials.
- The confiscation of nearly 1,000 boxes of Xerox counterfeit products in Turkey; the raid was conducted on behalf of Xerox and other OEMs.
- The conviction of a Baltimore man sentenced for 26 years for stealing and selling $55,000 worth of Xerox consumables.
Xerox has assembled a worldwide team consisting of brand protection, corporate security and legal to combat counterfeit activities; the company also cooperates with other OEMs, along with local law enforcement, customs and excise agencies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV