NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Argus upgraded Illinois Tool Works (ITW) to "buy" from "hold" and set a $102 price target. The firm believes the company is well managed and deserves to trade at a premium valuation.
The stock was up 0.4% to $87.18 in pre-market trading on Wednesday.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.89, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.14, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Machinery industry average. The net income increased by 33.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $354.00 million to $473.00 million.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, this stock has enjoyed a nice rise of 26.08% which was in line with the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- ILLINOIS TOOL WORKS has improved earnings per share by 14.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ILLINOIS TOOL WORKS reported lower earnings of $3.62 versus $4.74 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.55 versus $3.62).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ITW Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts