NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. benchmark stock indices rose Wednesday after aluminum giant Alcoa (AA) kicked off the second-quarter earnings season with better-than-expected results. The markets were also awaiting the minutes from the latest Federal Reserve meeting.
Alcoa was advancing 2.96% after posting second-quarter earnings that topped analysts' estimates.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average was edging 0.18% higher to 16,936.81. The S&P 500 was inching up 0.23% to 1,968.16. The Nasdaq was rising 0.37% to 4,407.66.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV