Story updated at 9:50 a.m. to reflect market activity.
Shares of CBS gained 0.5% to $63.72 in morning trading.
The bank set a price target of $68 for the media company. Media is in the early stages of an industry transformation, with shifting boundaries between content and distribution, according o Barclays analysts.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CBS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CBS CORP (CBS) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, notable return on equity and reasonable valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 30.93% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CBS should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- CBS CORP has improved earnings per share by 6.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CBS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.01 versus $2.48 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.47 versus $3.01).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Media industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 5.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $443.00 million to $468.00 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, CBS CORP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CBS Ratings Report